Reece James “gutted” to miss the Qatar tournament

Reece James says he is “gutted” to miss out on England’s World Cup squad.

The Chelsea defender is recovering from a knee injury sustained last month and has confirmed he will not travel to Qatar.

England manager Gareth Southgate named his final squad on Thursday night – and James suggested he wants to be included despite the injury.

READ MORE: Records collapse as Pakistan book final ticket

READ MORE: NZ under microscope after ‘timid’ World Cup exit

READ MORE:Wallabies shake-up continues with new captain

“Single,” he tweeted. “When I injured my knee I knew the turnaround to get to the World Cup would be strong, but I always felt it was possible. I’ve pushed myself harder than I thought I could to give myself the best chance to go and so believed truly that I could help the team.

“I appreciate there was a risk on both sides but it was one I was willing to take. Good luck guys. I’ll be back soon. Stay safe and send love.”

James injured his knee in a match against AC Milan on October 11. It is said to be an eight-week injury.

Fellow defender Kyle Walker is also racing the clock to be fit for the World Cup, having undergone groin surgery at the start of October.

The Manchester City star told the BBC he is “confident” he will be fit for England’s first World Cup match against Iran on November 21.

For a daily dose of the best of the latest news and exclusive content from the Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter with click here

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *